Welcome to the Uber Forum!

Welcome to one of the best resources on Transportation Network Companies (TNCs)! Uber Forum is an independent and unbiased resource to discuss Uber, Lyft, Postmates, Instacart, Favor, Deliv, DoorDash and more! Uber Forum has over 4,000+ members and 100,000+ posts! Please join the Uber Forum community by signing up today! Registration is FREE and will enable you to post messages. We can't wait to see you online! :)

POLL: Why do you drive for Uber?

Discussion in 'Uber Drivers Forum' started by Dreamer, Sep 16, 2015.

Uber Driver Promo Code | Lyft Driver Promo Code

?

Why do you drive for Uber?

1. Full time job

11 vote(s)
    14.9%
  2. Extra money

61 vote(s)
    82.4%
  3. Enjoy meeting people

24 vote(s)
    32.4%
  4. Enjoy learning about where people go in a city/learning the city better

14 vote(s)
    18.9%
  5. It pays better than Taxi/Lyft, etc.

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  6. Other

12 vote(s)
    16.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dreamer

Dreamer
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

2. MileHighDriver

MileHighDriver
    Expand Collapse

Because Uber doesn't have a skateboard service (yet, LOL).

Seriously, I was looking for a PT job, considered taxi but with only PT availability and no connections with any taxi O/O's where I could drive their car, it wasn't a real possibility.

Applied with a local limo company that, as I found out during the interview, got 80% of their revenue from the Uber platform, but his commission payouts based on what Uber paid him turned it into a minimum (or less) wage job.

Moved over to UberX, working for myself has been more financially lucrative for me. Car is paid for (which helps immensely from a direct operating expense standpoint), but when I figure vehicle operating cost, depreciation and potential resale value decline of the car I drive, it's not huge income for me, but I like meeting people and I have fun with this job. To me, driving UberX beats flipping burgers. at McD's

$.02
    MHD

pbracing33b, Uber Driver and Dreamer like this.
  3. Steven Davids

Steven Davids
    Expand Collapse

I drive for Uber because I need extra money to supplement the earnings I make at my full time job

Dreamer likes this.
  4. Lidman

Lidman
    Expand Collapse

I did it briefly parttime to see what it was like, Then they dropped the rates from $2/mile to 1.20 in cedar rapids and that's when I decided to call it a day with uber.

Breezy and UberRidiculous like this.
  5. Zontos

Zontos
    Expand Collapse

United States
    Hi, I recently went through a divorce and was working at Taco Bell for $8.75 an hour for a part time job. During this time, I was involved in a head on collision while sitting at a stop sign. So, with the settlement, I had got another car, but I got a Prius. With one teenager, and child support ordered by the court, plus a new car payment, my primary job and Taco bell was no longer enough for me to really even live in an apartment. So in desperation, I was driving around town, and saw a Taxi in a parking lot. I thought, hmmm, maybe I should go drive for a taxi. I struck up a conversation with the driver (a 30 year female veteran) and to make a long story short, she advised me that getting into the taxi service is something that I've missed the boat and I should go join Uber. At that time, I've never heard of Uber, but I listened to her stories, and her advice because she really knew about everything that there is to know about driving customers on the road. She told me not to pay attention to what other taxi companies are saying, but that the new ways of doing things is what "These new kids" yuppies want for rides". So I looked into it, and well long story short, was able to quit Taco Bell, and now drive for Uber and I'm now able to afford to live in an apartment, pay my child support and pay my car payment. I'm grateful for her advice, So, that's why I drive for Uber now.

6. Desert Driver

Desert Driver
    Expand Collapse

United States
    Yeah. Basically where I'm at, too. I bill out at $100 per hour during daylight hours, so driving for less than a buck a mile is kind of insulting.

Breezy and pbracing33b like this.
  7. pbracing33b

pbracing33b
    Expand Collapse

United States
    Im in school ft and doing this ft bc it works within my schedule, I only plan on doing this til the end of may, then I'll prob just do part time. It isn't something u make a career out of thats for sure. But if I do this for the rest of my school year, then I'll b ok with that.

RockinEZ likes this.
  8. pbracing33b

pbracing33b
    Expand Collapse

United States
    I will say around here people do tend to tip more than other places. But some nights are always better than others

RockinEZ and UberRidiculous like this.
  9. Desert Driver

Desert Driver
    Expand Collapse

United States
    The malnourished coyote drives for two reasons:
    1. To relax and to feed his blue collar fantasy.
    2. As a means of community service.
    The thin dog has a cerebrally challenging day job and he often takes long, leisurely drives at night to relax and reconcile the events and projects of the day. When he learned that he could earn lunch money simply by throwing a person or two in the backseat while he's out driving anyway, he figured 'why not?' But this all kind of harkens back to college days when the desert canine applied for a job as a cabbie and was told he wasn't qualified. Although he never figured out what that meant, he has certainly proven that cab company wrong. But to be entirely fair, the Coyote has kind of made a career out of proving people wrong and being handsomely compensated for it. And as blue collar work goes, driving U/L is about as simple as it gets...which, of course, is why none of us is making any money at it.

But the bigger reason is the community service aspect. We're coming up on six years since the tragic accidental death of the the Coyote's kid brother. Although it was not a vehicular accident, it was definitely alcohol-related. So dog's philosophy is that if he can play a small role in keeping a drunk or two from getting behind the wheel, then he's fulfilling his community service goal and showing his sons the value of community service.

And that's why Wile E. Coyote drives for U/L.

10. RockinEZ

RockinEZ
    Expand Collapse

United States
    Where else can you get a quick payday by next Thursday if you need cash?
    I think smart people should have Uber in their back pocket for almost instant income.

Most Americans are about 3 pay periods from being homeless. Having something like Uber, no matter how marginal Uber may be, is a boon to a lot of us.

I was suddenly unencumbered by the employment process.
    Uber came in mighty handy, and I kept it up for the flexibility and that ability to know I can probably make the rent if I have to. It may take driving 10 hours per night for several nights, but it can be done.

That being said I pretty much hate both Uber's and Lyft's business culture and practices.

UberRidiculous likes this.
  11. UL Driver SF

UL Driver SF
    Expand Collapse

United States
    And now you can get paid the same day.

I drive full time. It's fun and I make money. I drive in SF five days a week if m not lazy and I have complete control over my time.

For now, it works well.

12. GlobalGramma

GlobalGramma
    Expand Collapse

flexibility. extra income. pleasant customers.

13. MomWaits

MomWaits
    Expand Collapse

United States
    Uber is my "Dave Ramsey" job. I'm a nurse full time, but 4 days a week, I have a kid in a ballet class in the town in which I work (20 miles from where Ilive). I used to bring a book and sit in my car or the dance studio and read. Dave Ramsey would tell us to pull the kid from dance to pay off debt, but hubby and I both have good jobs overall, our debt isn't that terrible, and we don't feel our kids should suffer because we were stupid with debit.

So, I drive a 2006 fully paid for car. For the 3 hours the kid is in dance, I usually make $30 total. It's a college town so I almost never get tips. The dance studio is right next door to BioLife Plasma Services, where I donate plasma 2x/week and earn $70/week in one hour per donation. :D Makes more money donating plasma than driving. :D Still, between the two, we cover the dance bill (Hubby donates, too) and we'll be debt-free in April.

It's the only very, very flexible job I can get where I work when she's in class and am done in time to pick her up, every time.

14. ClevelandUberRider

ClevelandUberRider
    Expand Collapse

Hi, I am not a driver yet. I am trying to learn as much as I can from seasoned drivers so that I will be more prepared when I start driving for Uber and/or Lyft.

Thank you in advance for your precious time in answering my questions!

15. ClevelandUberRider

ClevelandUberRider
    Expand Collapse

The $30 per three hours of driving sounds about right. Like what I have been reading on the other forum.

Would you tell me if that was net of TNC's cut? And before your car expenses?

16. Douglas Davis

Douglas Davis
    Expand Collapse

I drive to support my family. I am a retired tow truck driver of 13 or so years and i have changed tooo many tires and pushed way toooo many cars! Disability keeps stringing me allong and my family was suffering!! Now i can make the money we need to survive. Hopeing SSDI kicks in so i i dont have to push myself so many hours... The 30 min drive out of town at 2:30am was tough... Made almost $150 yesterday... Good old sac beer week... Back at it tonight... Tips last night totaled $14.00... The last ride gave me $10.00 tip... Kind of answered another forum topic there...

ClevelandUberRider likes this.
  17. Breezy

Breezy
    Expand Collapse

United States
    I live in downtown Mpls., a hot spot of activity so I thought this might be a good part time job. I've given it a few weeks and I'm sorry but no, this is a joke.

Uber asks you to dress well have a nice car and keep it clean. I'm driving all over town in my car with my gas for $10/hr before expenses!?! Yikes. There's not enough left over to make it worthwhile. With all the perks designed for the passengers Uber doesn't have to be this cheap.

Come on Uber, give the drivers a bigger percentage. Stop sending me to the wrong location. At the very least add a tip function.

#17 Breezy, Feb 28, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  18. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Australia
    Hi @Breezy, welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear your experience with uber has not been a positive one.

Did you work out what you made per mile?

19. Tequila Jake

Tequila Jake
    Expand Collapse

United States
    I drive more for Lyft now that for Uber but I started to make some extra money. I do triathlons and half-marathons and when traveling, it can easily turn into a $800-$1000 weekend including entry fees, hotels, travel expense, etc.

Working as little or as much as I want, I'm pulling in $300 - $500/week before expenses so it helps a lot.

Even better, I've found I enjoy the variety between the passenger and delivery services. I might even consider making this my full-time profession though that decision is waiting on a lot more data -- long term car expenses (how long between sets of tires) and what happens to the business during the Phoenix summer.

20. amy

amy
    Expand Collapse

United States

Draft saved Draft deleted