Welcome to the Uber Forum!

Welcome to one of the best resources on Transportation Network Companies (TNCs)! Uber Forum is an independent and unbiased resource to discuss Uber, Lyft, Postmates, Instacart, Favor, Deliv, DoorDash and more! Uber Forum has over 3,000+ members and 100,000+ posts! Please join the Uber Forum community by signing up today! Registration is FREE and will enable you to post messages. We can't wait to see you online! :)

Finally real ridesharing

Discussion in 'Uber Drivers Forum' started by Harry Flashman, Nov 17, 2015.

Uber Driver Promo Code | Lyft Driver Promo Code

1. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Australia
    Chi1Abbie and UberRidiculous like this.
  2. UL Driver SF

UL Driver SF
    Expand Collapse

United States
    I haven't used it yet. How's it working out?

3. ClevelandUberRider

ClevelandUberRider
    Expand Collapse

I think this is a very good (efficient) way of going about it, potentially benefitting all sides. There are a lot of waste in how modern societies employ our resources when it comes to transportation, and the TNCs have been trying to cut out some of those wastes.

4. ClevelandUberRider

ClevelandUberRider
    Expand Collapse

Private contracting is a very competitive labor market especially when it comes to TNC driving.

Most TNC drivers are smart, efficient drivers who know where and when to drive to make their money, and when they can't they stay off the app. Most TNC drivers are happy with the earnings opportunities offered by the TNCs. They are adults, they can decide to drive or not to drive on any single day. Having the TNC driving options is a plus to their financial life. This is especially true to millennials and middle aged drivers driving PT. Even middle aged smart drivers doing it FT are happy and sharing their success stories on forums.

However, there are a select few inefficient drivers who are bringing their entitled employee attitude from their previous jobs into the TNC industry. Maybe in their previous jobs, they could just sit around most of the day doing nothing much productive and still get their paycheck twice a month. Maybe they let their co-workers pick up their slack. Whatever they did in their previous jobs, no matter how easy it was for them, to bring that entitled attitude and behavior into the TNC driving business will be a huge mistake--to themselves, to the TNCs, to passengers, and to other drivers.

Passengers certainly don't want to be driven by theses disgruntled drivers who don't know what they are doing in their life. TNCs can do without this small number of ever complaining drivers who will never be satisfied with anything except asking for more and more. And these unhappy drivers who don't know what they are doing are giving a bad name to all the other drivers.

Luckily, only a small percentage of drivers belong to this group--driving and complaining. Most drivers know what they are doing--on any single day, they either drive and make money, or they don't drive and do something else. Leaving only a small percentage begrudgingly drive and complain about it.

#4 ClevelandUberRider, Feb 15, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  5. Lidman

Lidman
    Expand Collapse

Well nowadays the "smart tnc" drivers are quitting because of rate cuts. I guess a smart driver lets say in Detroit who was only making .30/mile could relocate to a city that the rates almost $2.mile. Then move again before uber cuts their rates in half.

It's the same pattern over and over again. When Uber first comes to a city, they offer lucrative rates (possibly bonus") to lure the drivers in. Then when uber feels they have more then enough drivers, "wham" they cut the rates.

Jamgold and Chi1Abbie like this.
  6. ClevelandUberRider

ClevelandUberRider
    Expand Collapse

This is how a smart driver in Detroit goes about his business.

Mr. A is a smart driver in Detroit. He also drives for (or in) his other gig jobs. Being a PC with total freedom, he wakes up every day and decides with total freedom which gigs to do that day to make his net income of $60 to $120. (The range of poverty and minimum wages.)

Mr. A looks at Detroit Uber's fare rates for today:

UberX: $0.30 per mile.
    UberXL: $1.30 each mile.
    UberSelect: $2.10 / mile.

Like the past several weeks, he told himself, today, unless there are surges above 3.0X, if I feel like driving for Uber, I will use my XL or Select vehicle and accept only those pings and not UberX pings. If I only have a lousy small car, which allows me to do only UberX, then I will not do any Uber driving today unless there is a surge for UberX at or above 3.0X, and I will do other gigs or spend time in other productive ways.

Mr. A says, no, I will not move to Boston or any other cities still with pre-ScarySaturday fare rates. Because that would be silly--for Uber can and WILL cut rates there too one day.

Mr. A says, no, I will not quit either, because I either have one or two other vehicles that allow me to drive profitably for UberXL or UberSelect passengers, or I will just not drive today and I will drive in Detroit whenever there are UberX surges above 3.0X. The only "cost" or inconvenience to me to keep my UberX option open to be able to drive during medium to high UberX surges (given that I do not have vehicles that qualify me to drive UberSelect or UberXL) is to do one single trip per month.

7. ClevelandUberRider

ClevelandUberRider
    Expand Collapse

It is not the intention of Uber to scare or chase their TNC drivers away (to make them quit). It likely costs them about a thousand dollars to recruit each and every driver to their platform (when all incentives, ad campaigns, info sessions, etc. expenses are counted in).

Like most of all private-sector businesses, they are just trying to pay their TNC PC drivers as little as possible to the level just above which drivers would quit.

8. Everyknght

Everyknght
    Expand Collapse

United States
    Too bad it doesn't work it sent me 35 miles in the wrong direction

Jamgold likes this.
  9. ClevelandUberRider

ClevelandUberRider
    Expand Collapse

If there are 3.0X or above UberX surges, even 35 miles in the "wrong" direction, then deadhead your 35 miles back to civilization or your home or your staging area, you can still eke out a living of minimum wage rate or higher.

Any other day or time, when surges or surges can't make you at least minimum or double the minimum wage rates (or whatever minimum threshold of net income you set for yourself--different individuals have different minimum hourly income threshold, as even the wealthy such as The Donald will likely drive for $250,000 per hour), just don't.

Every day UberX driver logs in, it's a new compact, new contract they are entering with Uber. Agree with the rates, drive. Disagree to the rates, just don't. As simple as that.

You go to the stores on any day, goods are there on display, prices are published. Agree to the price, buy. Disagree to the price, just walk away. As simple as that.

10. Lidman

Lidman
    Expand Collapse

You really think they are like most private-sectors businesses. I think not. Even Walmart pays at least minimum wage.

11. ClevelandUberRider

ClevelandUberRider
    Expand Collapse

Those are W-2 employees.

TNC drivers signed up to be PCs, not W-2 employees.

There are W-2 jobs offered by Uber and Lyft at both their corporate HQs and their regional offices, none of them being of the driving variety though. Uber and Lyft's drivers are private contractors (PCs). When the TNC drivers signed up to become drivers for the TNCs, they signed an agreement agreeing to be PCs, not W-2 employees.

12. Lidman

Lidman
    Expand Collapse

Well you defend uber all you want, but the bottom line the drivers are being treated like employees not IContractors.

You'd make a great attorney for uber. Yes your are right that companies try to maximize their profits. In ubers case a lot of their business practices are so shady, they're not even worth mentioning.

Jamgold and Chi1Abbie like this.
  13. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Australia
    Uber do put conditions on their partners such as acceptance rates, ratings etc which is normally the domain of an employee/employer relationship in some cases the even try and exclude partners from using another platform.

Jamgold, Gus and Chi1Abbie like this.
  14. ClevelandUberRider

ClevelandUberRider
    Expand Collapse

I agree with most of what you said in your post.

I hope you and other readers do not mistake my talking some points or facts or conjectures as fully standing behind Uber in whatever they do. Far from it. In two ways it is clear I am not 100% standing behind Uber regardless of what they do:

1. Most of my posts in both South Korea and North Korea that touched on TNC fare rates lambasted UberX and Lyft rates in certain cities (anything below 90 cents per mile) as loss-making for drivers (after taking into consideration all expenses incurred by TNC drivers and their time used, which should be worth at least minimum wage rate).

2. Most TNC drivers are much more pro-Uber than I am in action. In words these TNC drivers may sound very anti-Uber, but in reality, especially in business (in politics it is another matter altogether), what counts is not what people say, but people do. These TNC drivers effectively show their loyal support for Uber by regularly turning on their UberX driver's app profile and drive UberX without any or just low multiples of surges on! I don't and I will not drive UberX or Lyft at anything below 90 cents per mile unless there are 2.0X surges when I start driving. They better raise their rates to above 90 cents a mile or have sustained constant surges of 2.0X, if not I am not supporting Uber with my action. But a lot of TNC drivers are supporting Uber by their action of driving UberX at zero surges.

15. ClevelandUberRider

ClevelandUberRider
    Expand Collapse

I think some TNC drivers think they are entering into a long term employment contract with Uber or Lyft when they sign on the dotted line. They are not.

Uber and Lyft (or the drivers) can terminate their business relationship at any time without cause.

The biggest problem Uber faces now is, about half of their past and current drivers may not understand what they have signed on to. That is partly, or even mainly, Uber's own doing, because of how they advertised, and the kind of drivers they have attracted, tend to be those who may not be very understanding of what they have signed up for.

16. ClevelandUberRider

ClevelandUberRider
    Expand Collapse

From the rants I read in South and North Koreas it is clear that some, but not all, TNC drivers are treating their driving work with the TNCs more like a job than as a business.

17. ClevelandUberRider

ClevelandUberRider
    Expand Collapse

Also, from the rants I read in Seoul as well as in Pyongyang, it is clear that some, but by no means all, Uber and Lyft drivers are acting and thinking much more like W-2 employees than acting and thinking like Independent Contractors (ICs).

18. Chi1Abbie

Chi1Abbie
    Expand Collapse

United States
    Well they're being treated as such. So called "Partners" don't have any say over the rates per mile, which they should. I think all of us on here, and other driver forums know the difference between W-2 employees and independent contractors.

BTW: HAVE YOU ACTUALLY DRIVEN FOR UBER AND/OR LYFT?

If not please post somewhere else.

19. Lidman

Lidman
    Expand Collapse

My guess is that he hasn't.

Chi1Abbie likes this.
  20. ClevelandUberRider

ClevelandUberRider
    Expand Collapse

So non-drivers are not allowed to weigh in on issues giving their own opinion?

Is this North Korea?

Draft saved Draft deleted