Welcome to the Uber Forum!

Welcome to one of the best resources on Transportation Network Companies (TNCs)! Uber Forum is an independent and unbiased resource to discuss Uber, Lyft, Postmates, Instacart, Favor, Deliv, DoorDash and more! Uber Forum has over 4,000+ members and 100,000+ posts! Please join the Uber Forum community by signing up today! Registration is FREE and will enable you to post messages. We can't wait to see you online! :)

Credit Card charged without ride

Discussion in 'Uber Riders Forum' started by astri, Jun 14, 2015.

Uber Driver Promo Code | Lyft Driver Promo Code

1. astri

astri
    Expand Collapse

Ok perhaps I partially screwed up as a newbie. I was in a real rush. I put in my origin and destination and immediately received a phone call from a driver. I thought this odd -- uber allows drivers to solicit riders by phone without approval? I told the driver, no, he was too far. I hung up and walked to take a taxi. The taxi cost me $15 plus a dollar tip and took less than 15 minutes to get to my destination. Later that day I'm notified that my credit card has been charged $34. It shows a half-hour trip with origins and destinations I did not even request.

Five or six emails to uber support get no response. There is no phone number to call. Finally after getting a partial credit and submitting additional emails/app requests to reevaluate charges, I got a full refund. Despite more emails on subsequent days, I still can't get an explanation how this was even possible or what action was being taken against the driver. Uber, I conclude, has nil security protections in place and relies on clueless off-shore workers for customer service. A truly horrendous experience. When my town/state again debates Urber regs, I will relay my experience but what else can I do? Lousy company.

2. MileHighDriver

MileHighDriver
    Expand Collapse

I can't speak "officially" for Uber, nor is this forum authorized/run by Uber, but I'll give you my $.02.
    Uber discourages drivers from calling the passengers and ideally, if everything is working right (specifically GPS pickup location information), we shouldn't have to call passengers. That is a good policy in a perfect (technology-wise) world. We all know Uber isn't perfect, especially in pin locations.

As a driver, this is what I do:
    • If pickup is more than 10-15 minutes away from my location, I'll call the passenger and confirm their address and give them my ETA. I like to call (using bluetooth headset and voice-dialing) vs. text as CO law prohibits texting while driving. I think this is helpful with first-time passengers who may not be aware that they moved the pin from their current location to somewhere else.
      • I was in the suburbs where there typically aren't a lot of UberX cars available. Got a pickup request from a location way off the beaten path in the mountains (although Google Maps seemed to know how to get there). Passenger was in LoDo (very popular club area) and a LOOONNNNGGGGG way from pin drop. By speaking directly with the passenger and confirming the pickup location as incorrect, I saved myself 20-30 minutes of night driving to the incorrect location, having the passenger complain that driver took forever to pick me up (from the wrong location) and so on. In this particular instance I cancelled the ride as "wrong address shown," and suggested to the customer that she make sure the pin is where she is located, knowing she would be picked up sooner than I could get there. In this particular case I avoided driving to an incorrect location for a no-revenue pickup and within 30 seconds I got another pickup request close to my current location that turned into a $42 trip to a neighboring city.
    • If pin location is in an area that should have a lot of cars nearby and I'm more than 10 minutes away, I'll call passenger and suggest they cancel and re-request the ride for faster service. I'm not sure why I got pinged when I know there are closer cars to the pickup than I am.
    The phone anonymizing (sp?) system doesn't allow drivers to call the passenger directly until the driver accepts the ride request, so driver isn't "soliciting the rider without approval," instead, driver was probably trying to confirm pickup location since driver was, as you put it,"...he was too far."

As far as being charged $34 for a trip that never happened, I can only speculate that the passenger didn't cancel the trip after telling driver, "...he was too far." The driver should have cancelled the trip anyway. The driver (probably) then responded to a street hail and started/ended the (supposedly cancelled rider) trip, or since you didn't cancel the trip, the driver decided to take a trip on your account.

I want to try to reassure the OP, stating that most Uber trip experiences are not the nightmare you experienced and hope that you give Uber another chance.

UberusMaximus likes this.
  3. Uber Downunder

Uber Downunder
    Expand Collapse

Australia
    You have just discovered why Uber holds sixth-place in the top 10 most hated companies in America. Enjoy this service.

Milady de Winter likes this.
  4. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Australia
    I wonder what the driver said to her, i doubt he was soliciting rides but possibly checking to see how far she was going before he commited to the long drive. As it happened his call to the pax was a wise move.

5. MileHighDriver

MileHighDriver
    Expand Collapse

Driver may have (accidentally) started the trip rather than cancel the trip, only realizing the error and ending the trip after driving around for 20 minutes or so and wondering why he hadn't been pinged??
    MHD

#5 MileHighDriver, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
    Milady de Winter likes this.
  6. UberusMaximus

UberusMaximus
    Expand Collapse

You know the opposite has happened to me and I gave a 15m trip for $5. I can see that happening.

MileHighDriver likes this.
  7. MileHighDriver

MileHighDriver
    Expand Collapse

I can't speak "officially" for Uber, nor is this forum authorized by Uber (and no, I am not an employee of Uber or "plant," on this or any other forum, and other than a contractor/driver and occasional passenger/customer, I have absolutely no affiliation with Uber) but here's my $.02....
    On a "sorta" related note, I picked up a passenger at a downtown hotel, began the trip to get his preloaded address (while I was still at the valet stand). I pulled out to the edge of the driveway waiting for traffic to clear and then tapped the screen (again) to (what I thought) begin the trip, which ended the trip at a whopping 17 seconds elapsed time.

If the trip was fairly short (1-2 miles) I would have said nothing and taken the passenger to his destination (officially not on a paid trip) and collected only the minimum fare. Because the trip was some 15 miles/20 minutes from downtown, I explained my problem to the passenger and asked him to re-request another ride and that I would take care of the minimum charge with Uber. Passenger agreed and re-requested the ride but now, downtown pickup location was on 2.0 surge. I promised passenger that I would do my best to get the 2nd trip rebilled at "no-surge" pricing.

When I got home at 3:30 the following morning, I contacted support, provided the trip numbers and explained the situation. the support person stated she would cancel the $4.00 fare and change the charges on the surge trip back to regular pricing. The corrections were shown on my trip record and commission statement and I assume the passenger's charges were corrected as well.

$.02 (corrected to $.00)
    MHD

8. Johan6969

Johan6969
    Expand Collapse

United States
    I was charged $36 for a ride I cancelled AND never took. I guess that $ is lost in the black hole. Will never use again if I don't get money back

Draft saved Draft deleted