Welcome to the Uber Forum!

Welcome to one of the best resources on Transportation Network Companies (TNCs)! Uber Forum is an independent and unbiased resource to discuss Uber, Lyft, Postmates, Instacart, Favor, Deliv, DoorDash and more! Uber Forum has over 3,000+ members and 100,000+ posts! Please join the Uber Forum community by signing up today! Registration is FREE and will enable you to post messages. We can't wait to see you online! :)

Can I delete a promo code I have not used?

Discussion in 'Uber Riders Forum' started by ScreamingMimi, Aug 15, 2015.

Uber Driver Promo Code | Lyft Driver Promo Code

1. ScreamingMimi

ScreamingMimi
    Expand Collapse

United States
    I'm going to be using Uber for the first time next week so was looking for some codes. I'm only going .5 mile each way so I found one that said $5 off and a $20 credit to my account but when I entered the promo code, it said $20 off my first ride. That makes no sense since my first ride is going to be $4.00

Is there a way to delete that code? or is it giving me a $20 credit for future rides?

UberRidiculous likes this.
  2. UberRidiculous

UberRidiculous
    Expand Collapse

@Harry Flashman @DoyleLonnegan @ttrout77 @MileHighDriver guys do you know the answer to this?
    Hi @ScreamingMimi that's a good question. I always thought that $20 credit was a one way hook, where regardless of whether or not your first ride uses the $20 credit, most would be paying for their ride back. BUT I'm not 100% sure. Check back in a little bit and hopefully one of the guys will have answered by then.
    :)

pbracing33b and Lidman like this.
  3. ScreamingMimi

ScreamingMimi
    Expand Collapse

United States
    @Ann Thanks for tagging people. I would be going both ways but it's only 1/2 mile each way. Here's the code I used. UBERSPOT2015

Attached Files:

4. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Australia
    I dont think you can delete it, and this is uber advertsing and marketing at its best. whilst uber offer the $20 most riders take short trips and ubers loss is minimized. Just keep on looking for promo codes and please tip the driver. Out of the $4 minimum fare the driver will ony receive $2.20.

5. ScreamingMimi

ScreamingMimi
    Expand Collapse

United States
    Uber needs to put a tip option in the app. i never have cash which is Uber's theory of having a cash-free transaction. I'll scrounge up some quarters.

pbracing33b and UberRidiculous like this.
  6. Milady de Winter

Milady de Winter
    Expand Collapse

Australia
    When you're using uber, keep in mind that your driver is using his/her own car, own fuel..everything. they will possibly drive 5 minutes to pick you up as well.
    all for $2.20 . Are you aware that drivers also rate you? Throwing a couple of quarters at your driver may be seen as more of an insult than a tip, and may result in the driver giving you a low rating. (As will keeping you driver waiting) most drivers WILL NOT wait more than 5 minutes. (And why would they- they get $5 for a cancellation- more than your fare will be worth)

Lidman likes this.
  7. ScreamingMimi

ScreamingMimi
    Expand Collapse

United States
    No insult was intended with the quarters. I have no cash except a can full of coins. If that is not acceptable then the drivers need to push uber to put a tip option in the app.

I'm well aware of how uber works and what the costs to the driver are.

Where did this "keep the drivers waiting" get into this? You're responses had zero do with my original question. There is no reason to get snarky with me.

since you'e so passionate about the rights of the drivers, start a thread about it for newbies.

8. Lidman

Lidman
    Expand Collapse

Well I'm not too familiar with this, but I've read on several posts from various uber sites, that you can use something on the "smartapp' called "square" that will take tips. I need to learn more about that myself.

pbracing33b and UberRidiculous like this.
  9. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Australia
    your first post states that you are going to use uber for the first time, so I think that @Milady de Winter was trying to give you some helpful hints for using Uber. Many new riders make the common mistake of keeping drivers waiting, failure to tip, and handing out poor ratings. This results in drivers giving bad ratings to riders, and many drivers refuse rider requests with low ratings.

10. ScreamingMimi

ScreamingMimi
    Expand Collapse

United States
    I was reading an article about the tipping issue with Uber and Lyft. Lyft has the in app option but Uber said they didn't do it because they wanted their customers to not have to worry about having cash, or paying more than what they saw. Uber specifically said no tipping and even suggested that drivers should refuse tips.

So the tipping situation comes from Uber and not the customers.

11. MileHighDriver

MileHighDriver
    Expand Collapse

Rather than try to quote most of the information above, I'll respond to most of the comments.

I *think* you can override a promo code by simply putting in another promo code. WATCHOUT: Some promo codes are limited to "$XX credit toward your first ride," meaning that if you've already taken a trip, the code won't work. I try to be very specific how I give that information out when I give out a card with my code printed; it's not "$XX credit," which people would construe as I can take several trips that would add up to $XX and they'd all be free.

COMMENTS ABOUT TIPPING
    I do wish Uber would update to allow pax to tip the driver via the CC (similar to Lyft). I believe Uber's reluctance to put post-trip tipping in place is that when Uber started in 2009, they stated the "tip was included," which with black car rates, may have worked out well, but in the budget UberX market, we all know that the earned revenue for distance+time (+rider safety, which we don't see anyway) wouldn't include a tip.

Not sure about "Square" but I believe that's a smartphone app and card reader that the driver installs on their phone which allows pax to slide card and tip the driver directly from their CC account, bypassing Uber completely (the trip charges still go through Uber). When I worked for a limo company, we had an app/card reader allowing Limo (not Uber) customers to pay for their trips directly rather than having to give their CC to our dispatcher. I don't think Uber has any policy prohibiting driver use of systems like this to collect tips from pax.

$.02
    MHD

#11 MileHighDriver, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  12. ScreamingMimi

ScreamingMimi
    Expand Collapse

United States

I don't mind the advice if it was given in a supportive manner vs. what I took as chastising me for bad behavior. I've never been late for anything in my life. And I look at Uber as being a huge benefit to me since I don't drive. I'd never abuse it and risk my standing.

13. ScreamingMimi

ScreamingMimi
    Expand Collapse

United States
    So just wanted to fill you in. I used Uber Monday. My pickup for Uber X was a Mercedes! It was easy and I plan on using it more.

Here is my problem with tipping. Not the necessity of it but the practicality of it from a cost perspective. It was maybe 1/4 mile from my home to my destination. It was $4.00 A tip, not quarters to insult anyone, ended up being 25% of my cost and almost 50% of what the driver made in the 5 minutes I was in their car. The Mercedes driver was on his way to work I'm on a fixed income. That buck mattered more to me than him I think.

It would would have been much easier for me to be able to add a tip during my review so I could feel less obligated to give more than i was necessary to avoid the insult of giving some change.

Don't get me wrong. I understand tipping, I just don't like being forced to overtip with no options.

14. Milady de Winter

Milady de Winter
    Expand Collapse

Australia
    Actually, of the $4 fare, uber took 20% and a $1 safe rider fee, leaving your driver with $2.20, of which he has to run his car not only the1/4 mile to drive you, but wherever he came from to pick you up. And you begrudge him a buck? Wow....

15. Milady de Winter

Milady de Winter
    Expand Collapse

Australia
    Anyway, your gripe is against uber. Try emailing them.

ScreamingMimi likes this.
  16. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Australia
    In Austin Texas rhe minimum fare is $2.00. May i ask how much you would tip a driver there? I live in a non tip society, but we charge a lot more So i am curious

17. ScreamingMimi

ScreamingMimi
    Expand Collapse

United States
    I never said I begrudge a tip, I don't like being forced to pay more than I have. Even when I had money I never tipped anyone 25%. Uber needs to provide options.

I would think that where they make the money is much longer fares. And I would be willing to bet people who travel much farther, using more gas and more wear and tear on a car don't tip 25%.

And I believe I said I wanted options. Do I tip Uber or do I eat? let me see.

18. Milady de Winter

Milady de Winter
    Expand Collapse

Australia
    Am i falsely assuming you cant walk 1/4 mile?

19. ScreamingMimi

ScreamingMimi
    Expand Collapse

United States
    Minimum fare where I am is $4.00. Actually it's $3.00 and then there is a $1 added. Do the drivers get that buck? They should. If my minimum was $2.00 that would change my tipping.

Not all über riders are drunk twenty somethings with lots of disposable income. For me it's more about the principal and about Uber who specifically says you don't need to tip and this will be a cashless transaction.

Uber needs to say upfront you should tip. They shouldn't write no tipping that they tell drivers to refuse your tip (I've read that) and let me have the option of tipping through the app.

20. ScreamingMimi

ScreamingMimi
    Expand Collapse

United States
    You are wrong. I am a disabled senior. I am unable to drive and walking to the car pretty much does me in. I wish it was a choice that I choose to use Uber because I don't feel like driving. I'm not that fortunate.

Draft saved Draft deleted